My Shopping Ban


The Rules

After canceling memberships, I started looking for other ways to save more and spend less.  I shared my ideas with a friend and she recommended a book called, A Year of Less by Cait Flanders.  I listened to it in about a week and was completely on board with her shopping ban idea and decided to focus on living a minimalist lifestyle.  So, here are my rules for the shopping ban: (Note: keep in mind that this list is personal and will be different for everyone).

Yes:

  • Toiletries, only when I run out (consider finding cheaper brands, buying in bulk if the price is better, and shop around).
  • Groceries
  • Gas
  • Makeup if I run out and, on a budget
  • Things that break and absolutely have to be replaced
  • Travel on a budget (ex. Camping)
  • Booksexchange on audible 
  • Haircuts (2-3 times a year)
  • Pet supplies, buy in bulk on chewy


No:

  • Clothes, shoes, and accessories
  • Furniture (we have too much anyway)
  • Coffee to go (make it at home instead)
  • Fresh cut flowers or plants (who am I kidding, I don’t have a green thumb)
  • Ulta visits (staying the F*ck out of ulta)
  • Impulse buying on Amazon
  • Getting nails done
  • Sparkling water
  • Whole Foods and Trader Joes
  • Organic Produce
  • Vacations, exceptions include going home for Thanksgiving and camping


There you have it! Those are the rules for the next year. I'm challenging myself to live life as a minimalist for a year in order to pay off all my student loans and become debt free.  For me, this means leaving the military debt free and with a positive net worth.

Comments